Users can no longer change their email address on Knowledge. Your email address on Knowledge should be your @udmercy.edu email address. If for some reason this is not your Knowledge email address, send email@example.com an email from your UDM email account indicating the problem and your account will be updated.
If you’d rather not use TitanConnect to read and manage your email, you might consider using the forwarding feature built into the UDM email system or a desktop client. Both options are outlined below:
Option 1: Forwarding your UDM mail
1. Log into Titan Connect and launch the email program.
2. Choose the Options tab within the email program.
3. Click Settings.
4. Scroll down to the Mail Forwarding box, near the bottom of the page. Check the “Enable forwarding” box and enter the email address you’d like your mail forwarded to in the email address box.
If you would like your emails deleted from your UDM email account when they are forwarded, check the box labeled “Do not leave copy on server”. Note that compromised UDM email accounts will sometimes result in other email services (Hotmail and Yahoo! mail, in particular) blocking email from @udmercy.edu. If you choose not leave a copy of your messages on the server, any messages sent at these times will be lost. However, if you choose to leave mail on the UDM server, you will need log into TitanConnect from time to time and clear out your UDM inbox, in order to ensure that you continue receiving email.
Option 2: Using Thunderbird for UDM mail
To avoid this potential issue, you may consider setting up a desktop email client to read and manage your email. Mozilla Thunderbird is good free alternative.
If you would like to use Thunderbird on your desktop, visit the Thunderbird site and click the “Free Download” button. Follow the instructions onscreen to download and install the software on your computer. When you run Thunderbird for the first time, it will walk you through the set up process. Most of the setup is automated.
1. Provide your full name as you would like it to appear when sending email, your full UDM email address, and your password. If the computer you are using is secure, you may check the “Remember password” box. Click CONTINUE to continue the setup process.
2. Thunderbird will attempt to set up your account for you. It will correctly identify the University’s IMAP server settings, which will allow allow you to use both Thunderbird and your TitanConnect web mail to view your messages. It will not correctly identify the university’s outgoing mail server. Click the Manual Setup button to set up your outgoing mail server.
3. When you click Manual Setup, the Account Settings window will open. Choose “Outgoing Server” from the list on the left side of this window.
4. Click the Edit button to set your default outgoing mail setting.
5. Enter an appropriately descriptive name, such as “UDM Email” in the Description field. Type “mailgw.udmercy.edu” in the Server Name field, then click OK.
Congratulations! You will now be able to use Thunderbird to view, read, and send email on your home computer or laptop. The default IMAP setting means you’ll still be able to log into TitanConnect and view your email online when you are away from your home or do not have your laptop handy.
Looking to set up email on your phone? Check out the tutorials provided by ITS.
If you have questions about email, contact the ITS helpdesk at (313) 993-1500 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.