Reading Course IDs in Blackboard

One way to see what the course ID is for a specific course is to sign into Blackboard, and enter a course. Once you are inside of your course, as a professor you can click on “Files” in the control panel section.

This will open up the files menu making the Course ID visible.

The first 5 numbers are the “CRN” (Course Reference Number). All courses have their own unique CRN for that semester.

• Fall courses will all start with a “1″
  • Winter courses will all start with a “2″
  • Summer courses will all start with a “3″

The second string of numbers are the Course ID. The first 3 letters in the Course ID is the course program, followed by 4 numbers that represent the course, then the section number.

The last 4 numbers are the academic fiscal year. All courses in the 2012-2013 fiscal year would be designated with “2013″. All courses in the 2013-2014 fiscal year would be designated with “2014″ and so on.

*****

Alternatively,
you can see the Course ID’s by moving your mouse over the “My Courses” header bar on your “My Knowledge” tab in Blackboard, & clicking on the “Gear” icon labeled “Manage My Courses Module Settings”.

There are several options you can do on the “Personalize: My Courses” page, such as “group your courses by term” & “manage your my courses list.”

Under option #2 “Edit Course List”;
you can see your course ID’s listed for each course.
This is a good time while you are in this page to organize your courses, possibly turning off old courses from previous semesters, & re-arranging courses in a different order. For more info, please visit “group your courses by term” & “manage your my courses list.”